My sister got me this amazing cookbook for Christmas called Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen. The first recipe I made out of it left my husband saying, “This is definitely a ‘make again.’” I’ve modified it a little bit, but stuck to the basics.
It starts with chopping up onions and bell peppers (as do most of our meals).
Then I melt a little bit of real, unsalted butter in a pan.
Next I dip the chicken in a flour, salt and pepper mix and put it on top of the butter.
After the chicken is browned, I pull it out and put the veggies in. After a minute or so of cooking to let the veggies get tender, the chicken goes back in, along with a mix of chicken broth, water and onion soup mix.
All that cooks covered for about 25 minutes.
Add in a little water and corn starch and just like that you have chicken and veggie gravy with little to no fat. It’s magic, relatively healthy goodness.
Until you pour it on the Simple Mashed Potatoes. But sometimes you just need a little potato love on a bad day.
Here’s how to make it:
Pan Cooked Chicken and Gravy
recipe adapted from Holly Clegg’s Trim and Terrific Cookbook
3-4 chicken breasts
About half an onion, chopped
About half to a 1/3 bell pepper, chopped
1-2 tbsp of butter, sliced
1 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1 1/4 cup of chicken broth
1/3 cup of water
1 package of onion soup mix
1 tbsp of cornstarch
1. Chop up your onions and bell peppers. Set them aside.
2. Get the butter melting in a decent sized pan on the stove at medium heat.
3. Mix up the flour, salt and pepper.
4. Coat the chicken breasts in the mixture and put them in the pan.
5. Let each side of the chicken brown, but not cook through. About 4 minutes each side should do it. Once they’re browned, pull them out.
6. Toss in the veggies. Let them cook for a couple of minutes.
7. Mix up the water, chicken broth and onion soup mix.
8. Add the chicken back to the pan with the veggies and pour the mixture over the top.
9. Reduce the heat to low, cover the dish and let it cook 20-25 minutes.
10. Before you pull it off the stove, mix the cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water and pour it into the liquid. Let it simmer for about 30 seconds.
11. Pull it off the stove and you’re done!