My best friend had a baby on Friday, so I decided to make lasagna in celebration. I cooked one to share between our family and her’s, and then two more for each of our freezers. It’s always good to have some extra food at the ready when the days get busy. I was happy with how this one turned out, as was the whole family!
Here’s how you do it:
Adapted from McCormick‘s.
1 box lasagna noodles
2 containers (15 oz each) of low fat ricotta cheese
2 cups of shredded skim mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1.5 jars of spaghetti sauce (I use Newman’s marinara because the ingredients are all good and it is the closest thing I’ve found pre-made to tasting like my husband’s homemade sauce).
Parmesan cheese to taste
A pound or so of lean hamburger meat
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Brown the hamburger meat, drain the fat and set aside.
3. Mix together ricotta cheese, eggs, 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper.
4. Mix the spaghetti sauce with the hamburger meat.
5. In a 9×13 dish, spread a layer of sauce on the bottom.
6. Put a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles on top.
7. Layer the cheese mixture, then sauce, then noodles, then cheese, sauce, noodles, sauce.
8. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top and add Parmesan cheese to taste.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
10. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve.
*Note: If you freeze this dish, make sure it’s completely thawed before baking.